Friday 9 January 2009

Good Time Funny Success!

Hello there friends and neighbors, this is Good Time Funny Girl Courtney just checking in. We haven't got too many interesting things going on lately in way of funny stories or sightseeing, because we've mostly been doing more of that straight-faced tube riding and job hunting. Also lots of moaning and groaning and complaining, which usually takes place in shifts. Megan will be whining about wanting to go home because it's hopeless here, and I'll be giving her a proper little pep talk, but things often reverse themselves almost instantly. Without warning, I'll join in on complaining and say that I'd also like to just quit and go home, and Megan will immediately start telling me to put my chin up and that something will come up before we know it. It usually goes back and forth and keeps things pretty balanced, I think.

Anyhow, today is the first time we've allowed ourselves to sleep in for a while. I was woken at almost 10 by the sound of my phone ringing. I missed the call fumbling around for my phone, but called them back and spoke to a really apologetic girl who asked me if I'd be willing to come in for an interview at noon. I reluctantly accepted and got directions. I found my way to this really hoity-toity restaurant that was being remodeled in a really beautiful part of town, where I met with the apologetic girl first, and then the Canadian bossman.

Megan and I have both decided that interviews are weird here. They don't really drill you the same as they do in the States, they mostly just make conversation. There's actually sort of a sense of them seeking your approval. They just told me all about the restaurant and how they're just reopening and what they want to do and kept on saying things like "would that be alright with you?" It's expected and normal here for them to ask your age and nationality in an interview, and most people actually put it on their CV. We even talked about my religion. Megan's interview earlier this week was similar. They're just really laid back, I guess.

But yeah, he said he'd be calling me sometime this weekend to let me know if I was hired, but he was 99% certain I was. I'd be working 40 hours a week, which at a restaurant feels like 80, but heck, it's a job, right?

We also have a flat we're looking at in a few hours that sounds promising. It'd just be the two of us sharing a double bedroom with our own kitchen and bathroom for something like £92 a week, which is quite cheap here. It's right near the church, which is a nice area. That's where the V&A and Royal Albert Hall and all of that is. Oh, we went to the V&A and it was magnificent. The Science Museum was quite neat too. We take lots of great pictures of these things--maybe someday we'll post them. Don't tell Megan, but I'm fairly certain I didn't bring my USB cord for my camera. So I might have to get a memory card reader or something. But that's boring. Sorry all of my blogs are so long and boring, guys.

Oh! My favorite hilarious thing happened yesterday at Institute. I'll just give you a brief condensed version. K, so this guy from some soviet country was talking to us in the church before Institute. Just making conversation, you know? Well, I asked him if he'd converted to the church and he said that his mother was a member, but because she was born premature, she was also an antichrist. This caused her to raise him atheist and commit many terrible sins. She was never excommunicated, though, because the church understood that, being born premature, she couldn't help but be an antichrist. I want you to know that this man's accent was incredibly hard to understand, so while he's telling us this, we're just thinking "is that honestly what he's saying?" He went on for a while about only eating raw fruits and vegetables and then told us about how he sometimes sees visions. Keep in mind that this is a totally normal looking 29 year old dude. His visions are usually gray, though, since he's not pure enough to see white visions because of his mother's transgressions. He told us about a girl in Salt Lake who he's been writing letters to in hopes of marrying her, and about how he finds it therapeutic to confess his sins to women. He then did just that. It was SO uncomfortable. Just your average 29 year-old stranger confessing his sins to us, no big deal. Then he started asking me all of these specific questions about the church's stance on stuff that I don't want to talk about. I'll just tell you that this man made it necessary for me to use the word "sodomy" in a church, something I hope I'll never have to do again.

Well once again, sorry my blogs are always so long. I'd like to commend you if you've actually made it this far. But yes, we possibly have a job and a place to live! We'll keep you posted. Either way, things are looking up. We're even going to go to dinner tonight at a place where we can sit down! Fancy that, right? Oh, and my half-Jamaican boyfriend gave me a high five at Institute. Needless to say, I've got it in the bag.

Until next rant,
GTFG Courtney

3 comments:

  1. For some reason I doubt that the half-jamaican boyfriend knows that he is such.

    Also, I'm way glad that things are falling into place.

    My mom gave me some old calling cards, so I'll have to give you a call sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too hilarious. Hope all is jolly in gay ol' London. Use a bumbershoot for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos on the job prospect. Mom thinks that you will be home in a week, but I hold out hope. You will tame the beast that is London.

    ReplyDelete