Thursday 15 January 2009

Good Time Funny Lunch Break

Hey there friends and gents. As you have probably already gathered from my signature title-style, this is GTFG Courtney checking in again. It's my lunch break and I've only got about 15 minutes until I ought to get back to work, but I just thought I'd stop in and say hello and tell you about my job and what I've been up to and how the GTFGs are getting along.

We'll start with the job. I work as a waitress at The Commander, which is a really fancy restaurant and oyster bar in the Notting Hill area. It's pretty nice, and the meals are pretty expensive, so I'm assuming I'll do alright with tips. The Commander itself is I think hundreds of years old, but it's been closed for a while to be remodeled and revamped and they're just reopening next week. All of the staff is new, and all week we've just been doing training from 10 to about 5. We haven't really touched on tills or sections or any of those important restaurant things, we've just been learning about alcohol, mostly. We had a whole day of spirit tasting, then cocktail tasting, and today is the second of a three day series on wine. Needless to say, I've smelled a lot of alcohol this week. We learn the history and origin of each pungent little wonder, then they pour me some and I smell it while everyone else drinks it. I take notes on what it smells like, what it might taste good with, and blah blah. There's lots of stuff to study and memorize. It's pretty intense. Tomorrow we've got cheese tasting, though, which I'm excited about. Something I can actually taste! We're working with I guess the fanciest butcher in England and we're going on an all day field trip on Saturday to visit the farm! I'm excited. I'm probably the only employee who didn't grow up on a farm, so everybody's pretty excited for me, too. Then Monday's food tasting, some actual training training, and then we open! Huzzah. I'm excited. I hope I do a good job. Hope I don't get fired.

Megan had an interview yesterday and they're supposed to get back to her today. GTFGs think this job sounds perfect, the pay is phenomenal, and it sounded like Megan did pretty well in the interview. She was optimistic, and you know that when a girl like Megan allows herself to be optimistic, it must really be looking good. I haven't heard from her since this morning, but I'm sure if we get good news you'll hear about it soon. Keep your fingers crossed!

Like Megan mentioned (I think?) we love our flatmates and our home. It's seriously in the most beautiful area. Totally clean and safe and absolutely gorgeous all over. I'm going to try and get some pepper spray for those nights when I come home from a hard night's work at midnight with fists full of Benjamins, but that's just common sense. We're safe and happy and Megan says she doesn't need pepper spray. Working 9-5, I'd say she's probably right.

We got invited by some friends (and by "friends" I mean Joff, the only friend who ever really contacts us) to a ysa dance in Reading tomorrow night, which we'll probably attend. It's a ways away from London, so we'll probably stay at Joff's house afterward and get a train back to London early in the morning. It'll have to be early enough to get me to The Commander in time to visit the Pig Farm! It's like a 4 hour drive and we're taking a big van. I'm so stoked. Megan thinks it's gross, but I'm excited. She's just a vegetarian. And a wuss bag.

Well, despite the fact that I have 18 minutes left on this computer, I'd better get going. It's 1:21 and the wine dudes are supposed to get there around 1:30. Wine tasting is boring for me, because everybody else is all mellow and slightly boozed up, so they have no problem running really late and just shooting the breeze forever, but I get kinda bored and restless. But hey, at least I'm getting paid by the hour, right? And at least it helps me know how to be fancy. I'll be so freaking fancy by the time I get home, I probably won't want to be friends anymore. Sorry, guys.

Until next post,
Good Time Funny Girl Courtney Maria Sophia Thompson

4 comments:

  1. That job sounds great. It has life experience written all over it. The wine smelling is petty funny. It's good that your abstinence from drinking wine is not detrimental to your employment. I'll try to get a phone card soon to call you. Skype may also be an option. LYLAS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I think it's funny that Drew put "LYLAS."

    Actually, that "first off" is kinda pointless. I don't really have anything else to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I googled The Commander and it looks like a good time funny place, well not really, it looks kind of nice and high brow. I bet you will get asked on lots of dates once you become a waitress, most of the time the people asking will be ugly old men but I bet every once and a while a real English hottie will ask you out and it will be awesome.

    Good job at keeping your wine virtue by not tasting. I know that probably is weird to be standing around while all of your co-workers are getting liquored up, but at least they aren't firing you for having a different set of morals.

    I can't imagine a job where you get to visit a farm and eat food. That sounds like the best job in the world. You know, my job is mostly sitting around on the internets waiting for something cool to happen, and nothing ever does.

    I hope that when you get back and are all fancy and unable to visit No Brow because you have become too high brow, that we can still be friends. I will try to get as brow as possible before you get back to make the transition to lame-o unfancy friends easier for you.

    Continue having fun in gay ol' London and use a lift for me!

    ReplyDelete