Tuesday 17 February 2009

'lil guy big guy

Hello everyone. Yes, I haven't blogged forever, and no, I'm not dead. I just thought we should put that out there once and for all. Quite honestly, I'm not sure what Court has written since my last post, and I'm too lazy to read it at the moment, so sorry to all you avid GTFG readers, but there might be some repeats.

Okay, ready?

Last I wrote, I believe I was 'illin. So I'll start from there.

So yeah. I was sick, and Court was at work, so we pretty much had a 'rockin weekend. I had to turn down the Wales adventure, and a couple other invites from new friends. That's right folks, when it come to Great Britain, I am freaking popular. GTFG Court on the other hand... has friends at work... (only joking Court, you should just get an office hour job). (I like blogs cause I can tell Courtney things without telling her things).

Speaking of work. Courgnaw IS, actually looking for a new job so that we can do things during the night together. She had two temp. interviews today before her shift started, so cross your fingers! But I'll talk about work in a bit. I want to finish with the activities we've done. hem hem.

So after a weekend of being full of meds and trying to sleep through the farewell parties being thrown in my flat, came Groundhog's Day. Oh, and loads of snow. More snow than has graced London in 18 years, in fact. (About 6 inches). And the ENTIRE city shut down. It was my very first snow day. All offices and stores were closed, which left hundreds of Londoners throwing snowballs playfully at everyone who passed. Seriously, it was wonderful. People of all ages were building snowmen and snow sculptures everywhere you looked, and having snowball fights with strangers is absolutely acceptable here. It was so great. It was also Groundhogs Day, so in celebration, I sculpted a hog on the ground out of snow. And later that night we watched 'Groundhog's Day,' while enjoying celery and carrots. (Because we figured that groundhogs probably enjoy those things)

It was also Chinese New Year that weekend, which I celebrated with my flat-mates at the Chinatown festival, where there were dancing dragons and perhaps thousands of Chinese lanterns. So, that was fun. But awfully crowded.

Lets see here... Last weekend we rode the London Eye to celebrate Friday the 13th. And then we went on the Jack the Ripper Tour to celebrate Valentine's Day. As our friend Amber said and laughed a little too hard at, it was our 'jack' valentine's day. We also ate pizza at Charles Dickens old abode. heh. Oh, what a shame.

Hmm.. What else? Oh. Court and I both had our first dates in London. It took us four weeks, but we did it. haha. i'm sure she's written about that though.

we've also had lots more sleepovers, breakfast making, and city-strolls. OH! and speaking of city-strolls, two weekends ago, KoRtni, James, and I were walking along the road when the London Dungeon, (some sort of freaky theme park that KoRt and I sort of wanted to go to but decided it was a rip-off) had an employee calling out for dancers. They had a little stage of sorts set up, and I wanted to do it, so KoRt joined me, and we did a dance for everyone to see. There were video cameras galore, and about five minutes later, we found ourselves to be the newest owners of free tickets. :) I think we're finally going to use them this weekend. But I think that's a great story.

Together, GTFG now have 6 phones. I don't want to go into detail. It's just sorta funny.

We also both had our NI Number interviews in what I'd like to call, Little India, and we both recieved callings in the ward. I'm on the FHE committee, and KoRt is on the activities committee. I'm really pretty excited about it. Another funny thing is that they gave us our callings at the same time. It's funny because the entire world views us as one entity. (Even though we've been doing different things with different people most nights.)

Kylin moved, and we miss him. It was like having a sibling move out all over again. I miss hanging out with him, he was really great. Our new flat-mate is pretty great too, but she doesn't want to hang out because I'm a youngling. And she isn't.

Another funny thing to note real quick is the fact that the Gergin (sp?) has replaced the North Star. The Gergin is a building shaped like a pickle, or a Gergin, and it's how KoRtni and I locate ourselves. I think that's pretty giggle-worthy.

So, as for work...

I'm completely satisfied with everything at the moment. NCP has asked me to stay until I leave, if not longer. The ward wants us to stay longer as well, but our lease, our summer job, and our Visas are telling us otherwise. Anyways, besides being boring and far away, I'm really very comfortable and lucky to be working where I'm working. Courtney loves her job sometimes, but as previously mentioned, she's looking for a new one so that we can take advantage of our time in London more. I hope she's successful. Anyways, I really love my 'colleagues.' They invite me to run with them, and go to lunch with them, and bowling. They offer me treats and say hilarious things. They also think I'm the strangest, most pious religious creature ever. 'What else CAN'T you do?!' was the question being exclaimed after refusing the lottery tickets, and the gallons of coffee. GTFG hate that question. We don't feel restricted at all. The things we get asked are pretty bizarre sometimes.

We made a friend named, Mafa. I'm positive I spelled that wrong. Oh well. Mafa stands on the side of a tunnel holding tiny little paintings, and keeping a straight face. He's homeless, and we bring him treats to which his entire face brightens. It took me a while to realize that he actually is homeless, and it makes me really very sad. I don't quite know how I feel about him. urm. I have an issue with thinking that all beggars are just trying to steal people's money. I wonder when I developed that view. I don't like it.

So, here's a couple lessons to learn real quick.... Don't be obedient when BUNAC tells you not to bring your laptop, and if you have a Type-A personality, you will never not have a list of things to do, even when you're taking a semester off of college in a different country.

Okay, well, I think I very briefly touched on everything worth mentioning. Now it's time for lunch. Sorry for being a really really bad friend accross the pond.

-GTFG, Megan.

6 comments:

  1. Funny Girl Megan,

    Great blog! You guys don't call me or anything like you do for Evan so this is pretty much the only contact I get. Everything sounds so funny and wonderful and I sort of wish I could be there. Also, what is a calling? Are you going on missions?

    On my end, if you care to know, I broke up with Curtis, and I'm going on dates for the first time everrrr with someones who aren't already my boyfriend. It's a load of fun. One of the guys is real real short and plays with yoyos all the time. He wants to be a yoyo master. The other one is just a dork all around and I don't know if I like him like I like the short yoyoer.

    Do you think you could bring me a chocolate bar from England? Something that isn't available in the states. I can give you some money for it when you get back.

    Post more often!

    Luvs,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd just like to point out the fact that Megan has never called me, though courtney has.

    Also, aren't they called "Gherkin's"?

    I wish I could give an update like Dana, but all I ever do is work and go to school. I don't go on dates. I didn't break up with Curtis. Life is kind of plain lately. But it's ok. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, babygirl--gherkins. I cringed in spite of myself when I saw that. But then I cringed again when Evan said "gherkin's." Srz on both counts.

    I am going to call you, Dana. I'm always looking for people to call. Mark my words. You're getting called.

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should maybe warn me when you are going to call so that my phone is not on silent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMMMMMMMMMMMggggggggnnnnnnn! And Court. Hey. I know what it feels like to be taking a semester off in another country! (except I'm still in school over here in Spain). And also- Yes. I feel like most of the time I am the only Mormon around. They are always asking questions about our religion.. And yeah. I enjoy reading all of your blog all the time. And you reminded me of something. Peanut Butter from one of your previous posts. I've looked about 8 times now- I don't think peanut butter really exists in Spain. So my mom is sending me some. I'm not a big Nutella fan. Ohh I can't wait to eat a good p b & j sandwich when that package gets here!

    ReplyDelete